KEIZER, Ore.-- Alert neighbors helped save a home from fire after smelling smoke in a Keizer neighborhood around 5:30 pm Sunday.

Neighbors on Sunset Avenue North in Keizer began looking around the neighborhood for fire after smelling smoke, and called 911 after finding a home with smoke coming from the eaves of a house. The homeowners were not home at the time, but neighbors were able to alert them by cell phone, and let the firefighters know the home was unoccupied.

Salem Fire Ladder 2 assisted Keizer Fire with roof ventilation and the fire was confined to the attic. The cause of the fire was determined to be a malfunctioning radiant ceiling heat system. Firefighters were able to save the home and it's belongings from major damage.

Keizer Fire recommends an annual home heating inspection, now that cooler weather has arrived.