TUALATIN, Ore. – A cougar sighting was reported Tuesday morning at Durham Park in Tualatin, according to police.
An anonymous caller said they saw the cougar at around 10 a.m. on the far end of the north loop of the park. Tualatin police officers walked the park trails but didn’t see a cougar.
Anyone who sees a cougar is asked to call 911 immediately.
What to do if you encounter a cougar
- Cougars often will retreat if given the opportunity. Leave the animal a way to escape.
- Stay calm and stand your ground.
- Maintain direct eye contact.
- Pick up children, but do so without bending down or turning your back on the cougar.
- Back away slowly.
- Do not run. Running triggers a chase response in cougars, which could lead to an attack.
- Raise your voice and speak firmly.
- If the cougar seems aggressive, raise your arms to make yourself look larger and clap your hands.
- If in the very unusual event that a cougar attacks you, fight back with rocks, sticks, tools or any items available.