PORTLAND, Ore. – Veterinarians have some advice to keep your pets safe this holiday season, and those with Dove Lewis Emergency Animal Hospital say the best thing you can do is plan ahead and educate yourself.

One piece of advice is to watch out for decorative holiday plants like poinsettias and mistletoe, they can cause vomiting and cardiovascular problems if your pets eat them. Even Christmas tree water can be dangerous for animals.

“There are chemicals that people put into Christmas tree water that can make their trees last and stay greener longer,” said Dr. Betsy Golden. “Those chemicals can cause gastrointestinal, upset vomiting, other clinical signs if pets drink the water”

And also, she says, watch where you put those Christmas-light wires and electric cord.

“Any pet that chews on wires can potentially run the risk of electric shock,” said Dr. Golden. “That's certainly something that we do see doing the Christmas season.”

She says chocolate and alcohol are not good for animals, and even raw bread dough-can cause vomiting, diarrhea, even death.

Dr. Golden also say to keep your pets away from the garbage can, especially if the garbage contains chicken or turkey bones. Those bones can splinter and get stuck in your animal’s intestines.