Police have started to investigate Backstreet Boys singer Nick Carter for allegations of sexual misconduct.
The Santa Monica Police Department's Public Information Officer Lt. Saul Rodriguez confirmed to USA TODAY that an investigation has "just begun" Thursday. "A victim did come forward yesterday to report allegations of sexual misconduct involving Mr. Carter that occurred in 2003," he said. "We're going to start looking into the matter."
Lt. Rodriguez was not able to identify the person who filed the police report, saying victim's information is confidential.
Actress-singer Melissa Schuman, 33, who accused Carter, 38, of rape in November, tweeted about going to law enforcement Wednesday. "I’m finally doing what I thought I could no longer do. Im filing a police report," the former member of the pop group Dream said, adding Time's Up and Me Too hashtags. She credited the Rape Abuse Incest National Network for "empowering me to take this step."
Schuman publicly came forward with her allegations in a blog post, titled, "Don’t worry, I won’t tell anybody." She says the incident happened shortly after the two were cast in a TV movie together (2004's The Hollow). She was 18 at the time; he was 22.
USA TODAY's request for comment from Carter was not immediately returned.
Carter previously denied sexually assaulting Schuman in a statement to USA TODAY, adding he believed their interactions were consensual.
"I am shocked and saddened by Ms. Schuman’s accusations," the singer said. "Melissa never expressed to me while we were together or at any time since that anything we did was not consensual. We went on to record a song and perform together, and I was always respectful and supportive of Melissa both personally and professionally.
"This is the first that I am hearing about these accusations, nearly two decades later," he continued. "It is contrary to my nature and everything I hold dear to intentionally cause someone discomfort or harm.”
Contributing: Maeve McDermott