Hanukkah begins tonight and we are making potato latkes and Tunisian yo-yos (doughnuts) with Chef Jenn Louis at Israeli restaurant Ray.
She has graciously shared her recipe with us:
- Yield: 18 latkes
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp. matzo meal
- 1 tsp. salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 2-3 large eggs
- 3 cups olive oil (or schmaltz!)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Peel potatoes and onion and grate them finely, wrap in a clean towel and wring out all moisture.
- Place potato-onion mixture in a large bowl with all remaining ingredients and mix well without kneading.
- Heat olive oil in 10-inch frying pan until shimmering. Form 2-inch patties with the potato mixture and fry in oil until golden on first side. (If patties are too dry to hold shape, add one more egg.)
- Turn to second side and fry until golden.
- Season after frying with kosher salt and place on a sheet pan.
- Bake at 35 0F for 12 minutes.
- Repeat until all patties are made.
Chef Jenn likes to serve them warm with a slab of gorgonzola dulce and a drizzle of maple syrup!
Address: 3808 N Williams Ave, Portland, OR 97227
Phone: (503) 288-6200